Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cowtown 10K Review

 Race day!  I always love race day!

Talia and Brittany met me at my house at 5:00am and we picked up Chad and Randee on the way.  The race started at 7:00am, super early in my opinion.

Hard part of the morning:  Finding an open Starbucks.

Easy part o the morning:  Parking.

First picture of the day.  Starbucks in hand and ready to go!

My running peeps Brittany, Randee and Talia.
You gotta read "Run Like a Mother" to appreciate my Badass Mother Runner shirt!

 It was a bit chilly, but we got to wait inside!  Awesome.

The Expo was open so we got to look around while we waited.

Hmm, I guess I was having a SLAYER moment.

Little Brittany is about to start the Fire Academy.  She was pumped to get her picture taken next to this super cool fire engine.
And the best part....

Real bathrooms!
This was Chad's first race.

He spent most of the morning on this bench trying to hide & act like he did not know us.  We can get a little loud!
And look who we ran into during the Expo...

The always hilarious Becky and Jeff! 
About 10 minutes before race time we headed outside and got ready to go!

The mandatory Bitchy Runners picture.  I have got to loosen my hydration belt so I don't have to wear it up under my boobs.
Then look who found me:

The kick butt runner Javier.  It is fun to see familiar faces in the crowd!
One last self portrait before we start!
And we are off!

Talia and Brittany gettin' jiggy wit it.

The crowds stayed pretty thick the entire race.  The mile markers were nearly impossible to see.  I was very happy to have my Garmin to have a clue where I was on the course.  And part of the course was on paths that were way to narrow for the amount of people running.

This was my view most of the race.
Occasionally I would see an old women in super short spandex, or a guy running barefoot carrying his shoes, but mainly I just tried to hold a pace while in cramped quarters. 

I had my own water so I did not pay too much attention, but I think they had three water stops on the course.  The second stop had water and Gatorade on both sides of the road.  Running down the middle I was having to dodge flying cups.  Blah!

There were a few hills, but the majority of the course was flat.

Randee had been running fever the night before the race.  She probably should have been in bed, but she wanted to give the race a try.  Around mile 4 she started feeling sick and told me to go on.

My splits:

Mile 1 - 10:00
Mile 2 -   9:38
Mile 3 -   9:37
Mile 4 -   9:38
Mile 5 -   9:22
Mile 6 -   9:42
.2        -   2:22 (8:32 pace)

Dangit!  I was 22 seconds over my goal! 
I'm anxious to see the official results.

Talia & Brittany rocked it and finished in 55 minutes.

Chad had a goal of 1:10:00.  He finished in 58 minutes.  He pretty much kicked ass for his first race!

Randee did awesome for being so sick!  She finished around 1:04:00.  She was definitely feeling ill when she crossed the finish line.

I ran into Christy, a girl I went to high school with, at the finish line.  It was pretty amazing given the gazillion people that were everywhere!

Brittany and Talia went into the finishers area and got their groceries for the week.  Chad, Randee and I just high tailed it to the car to get Randee home.

Quick Chica Bands review:

Loved it!  It stayed in place the entire race and kept the hair and sweat out of my eyes!
Leaving the parking lot was not so fun!  It seemed to take us forever.  The 5K race started at 8:30am and was underway as we were trying to leave.  I don't know if that was the hold up or what, but it kinda sucked!

Especially since Randee was sick.

So Randee had on her compression shorts under her longer tights.  She started doing a strip tease in the car. 
She wanted those compression shorts off.  The she realized she had no underwear on.  We almost got to see all the goods!

Chad wanted to know why she never got naked when he was driving.
We barely got Randee home before she started barfing!  Hopefully some rest will do a body good!

When we got back to my house we realized we had not taken any pictures with our medals.

Take One - You can't see the medals.

Take Two:  You can't see Talia.

Take Three:  Brittany has her eyes closed.
Forget It!!

Here is our bling:

I like that the bibs have our name and how many times we have ran the Cowtown.  And who doesn't want a medal with cowboy boots on it?
Overall a great race.  I liked last years route better, but they changed the location due to the increase in participants.  It is well ran and I'm sure we will do it again next year!

What was missing this race?  Food and Alcohol. I'll have to make up for that tonight!


  1. LOVE all the photos, Angie! Looks like you had a ton of fun with your posse. Bummer about the "extra" 22 seconds. But you are still very much a Badass Mother Runner!

  2. My dad is running in the full tomorrow. Looks like a fun race! Maybe next year, I'll be there to join you.

  3. Whoops - commented on the wrong post... I was talking about your "gett'n hair did" article.

  4. That was a pretty fun morning!! stinks that randee got sick!! we rocked it GURLSSSSS!

  5. Nice bling! The pictures with the attempts at getting you all and the medals cracked me up. Sounds like a great time.

  6. How great is it to get a medal for a 10k? Nice job, you'll get under an hour next time. Fun post!

  7. Great job! Love the bling - esp for a 10K!