Friday, August 12, 2011

Udi's Gluten Free Product Reviews

Marathon Training Week 14 - Day 5

Since we have been lazy all week, we thought we would continue the trend today.  We walked 3 miles.  Yap, that's all we did.  We should be good and rested for our 18 miles this weekend!

Warning: Protective eye wear required when looking at my shiny forehead.
Randee refused to put her shoes on this morning, in hopes that we would skip the workout all together.
We are splitting up for our 18 miles.  It's sad.  Brittany and Randee will run together on Saturday.  Talia and I will do our 18 on Sunday.  It's a bummer, but such is life.

If you have followed my blog for very long you know I follow a gluten free diet.  My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when she was three years old.  The diet seemed overwhelming to me at first.  It was through a lot of trial and error that we discovered what products were good, and which ones tasted like dirt.  Gluten free food is not cheap, so this was an expensive process.

In June of 2010, I was having a lot of stomach cramping and symptoms similar to what Audrie had experienced prior to going gluten free.  Her Celiac Disease was diagnosed with a small intestine biopsy.  I did not want to spend the time and money to get tested.  My husband encouraged me to do a 30 day gluten free trial and see how I felt.  I was nervous, because I knew I had to be very strict in following the diet with her little eyes watching me.  Within about a week my stomach issues were gone.  I decided to stay on the diet.

Fast forward one year, to June of 2011.  We ordered dinner at a restaurant, and after it arrived I realized it had wheat noodles instead of rice noodles.  I was tired and decided to eat the meal because I had made the mistake in ordering.  Bad idea.  Within about two hours my stomach was cramping like crazy.  The worst part was that it took about three weeks to get my system back in order.  I had constant stomach pain anytime I ate.  Finally I got my colon happy again.  Now I'm more determined than ever to follow a STRICT gluten free diet.

Recently, I discovered Udi's Gluten Free Foods.  It was actually from reading a blog that I was introduced to their deliciousness. 

Udi's Gluten Free Foods sent me coupons to try and review three of their products.  At Tom Thumb I have been able to find their plain bagels and white sandwich bread.  At my local health food store I found a few more products.  I need to visit a Sprouts or Whole Foods to see if they carry more of their whole grain products.

Udi's bagels is the product I first read rave reviews about.  As you can tell from the package, they are gluten free, dairy free, soy free and nut free.  I'm not sure how they do it,but these things are REALLY good!
Please ignore my fine china.  I keep the bagels in the freezer, and then put them into the toaster when I'm ready to eat.  I love that they actually look and taste like they have been toasted.  This does not happen with all gluten free food.
Another tasty product is Udi's Whole Grain Bread. 
Once again, don't notice my fancy plate.  When toasted, this bread makes a perfect sandwich.  A lot of gluten free bread never gets crunchy and has a gummy texture.  This is not true for Udi's sandwich bread.
I wanted to try something new, so I chose the Udi's Gluten Free Lemon Streusel Muffins.  It turned out to be a great choice!
See, I do own a "real" plate.  I took this muffin out of the freezer and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds.  I had it with a cup of coffee for breakfast.  It was amazing.  Very light and moist.  I thought it was delicious. 
My 9 year old daughter also loves all of the Udi's Gluten Free products.
I must say that I have not found an Udi's Gluten Free product that has not tasted fantastic.  Having tried many gluten free foods that are less than tasty, I'm very excited to find such an all-around great brand.  They have several other products I want to try like their hamburger and hot dog buns, granola and pizza crust.

Visit Udi's Gluten Free Website to learn about all of their products and find special offers.

4 comments:

  1. I have heard tons of great things about Udi's products, but I've only tried the bagels (delicious). It can be tough to find tasty GF products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ's has all of their breads and bagels but I have never seen the muffins. I did try the bread though and was great. No different at all from regular bread, maybe even softer and better than what I usually get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Vanessa - the bagels are awesome! So far, everything I have tried has been delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alecia - I want a TJ's next door to my house!

    ReplyDelete